Bible Reading: John 11:31-46
Key Verse: Verse 35 – “Jesus wept.”
Key Words: Jesus wept
Thought: “Tears are a liquid pain.” ~ Herbert Lockyer. Golda Meir said, “Those who don't know how to weep with their whole heart, don't know how to laugh either.”
A little girl was once late coming home from play. When her mother asked her where she had been, she explained that her friend had fallen and broken her very special doll. "And," said the little girl, "I stayed to help her." "How did you help her," asked the mother. "I just sat down and helped her cry".
- Joseph is said to have wept 8 times.
- David, 7 times.
- Paul, 4 times. He described himself as serving the Lord with all humility, with many tears. (Acts 20:19)
- Jeremiah compared his weeping to both a fountain and a river of tears. (Jeremiah 9:1; Lamentations 3:48)
- David’s men wept until they had no more power to weep. (1 Samuel 30:4)
- The Psalmist wept until he drenched his couch and made his “bed swim.” (Psalm 6:6)
- Peter wept “bitterly.” (Matthew 26:75)
- There are three records of Jesus’ tears: Over a doomed city, over a friend’s death, and over a painful sacrifice. (Luke 19:41, John 11:33–35, and Hebrews 5:7)
- Hell is described as a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 13:42)
- The last mention of tears is in Revelation 21:4, the promise that God shall wipe away all tears from the eyes of his redeemed.
Tears -- a language God understands!
What to do:
✞ Remember, even Jesus wept.
Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email