Bible Reading: Acts 20:7-12
Key Verse: Verse 9- “And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead.”
Key Words: being fallen into a deep sleep
Now, Eutychus is not the only one to fall asleep in church. I have watched couples nod off in magnificent rhythm. I mean perfect timing. Why, there are our spiritual church sleepers, they fall asleep, wake up long enough to say amen and then doze back off into never-never land. Then there was the lady who had the strangest wheeze and smile while she was snoring, it reminded me of a chattering chimpanzee.
Why do people fall asleep in church?
- Training: That's right, we were trained as small children to stretch out on the pew beside our parents and sleep away. Habits are hard to break.
- Physical Factors: Medicines we are on.
- Indifference: Some people would rather sleep than be fed God's Word.
- Boredom: Let's face it, some messages can be boring.
So much for the diagnosis, what about the remedy?
- The Service: Must be conducive for worship: good music and a few good, hearty amens every now and then help congregation involvement.
- Physical Preparation: Get a good night's rest on Saturday night, get up on Sunday morning in time to get ready without a lot of helter skelter.
- Spiritual Preparation: Take time to have prayer for the service before coming to church.
- The Speaker: Should be alert and ready, have his message well-prepared. We are not in the entertainment business but each message should be interesting.
I trust you will get the sleep you need, but not in church!!
What to do:
✞ Go to bed on Saturday night and be ready for Sunday.
Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email