Bible Reading: Psalm 77
Key Verse: Verse 9 – “Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah.”
Key Words: Hath God forgotten to be gracious?
People do face depression. The word depression can be best understood by looking at it in two parts: depress, to lower, to let down; the suffix ion means active or condition. So depression is the action or condition of being let down or put down.
In Psalm 77 David is depressed because he feels as though God has let him down. In John 11 Martha is depressed because she feels as though He has let her down.
People face depression because they often feel let down by family or peers. They may even feel as though they have let others down. This, as well, can cause depression.
If a teen feels as though daddy lets them down, or they can’t please dad or mom or the teacher or peers, etc. depression can occur.
Please understand that going through depression is not the end of the world. God can and will use you. Years ago a young Midwestern lawyer suffered from such deep depression that his friends thought it best to keep all knives and razors out of his reach. He questioned his life’s calling and the prudence of even attempting to follow it through. During this time he wrote, “I am now the most miserable man living. Whether I shall ever be better, I cannot tell. I awfully forebode I shall not.” But somehow, from somewhere, Abraham Lincoln received the encouragement he needed, and the achievements of his life thoroughly vindicated his bout with discouragement.
I remind you to “be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might” (Ephesians 6:10).
What to do:
✞ Memorize these verses:
- Nahum 1:7, “The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.”
- Isaiah 26:3, “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee.”
- John 14:27, “And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.”
- Philippians 4:6-7, “Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
- Visit shut-ins.
- Visit hospitals.
- Work around the church.
- Keep busy.
- Occupy until the Lord returns.
- God can use everyone.