Bible Reading: I Corinthians 3:16-17
Key Verse: Verse 16 – “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”
Key Words: Know ye not that ye are the temple of God
This devotion is not a condemnation of the smoker; but it is a condemnation of smoking.
Did you know that…*
- the average teen begins smoking at age 13?
- everyday 3,000 teens become addicted to tobacco products?
- about 1,000 of them will die prematurely from tobacco-related disease?
- each year more than 400,000 Americans die from a tobacco-related illness, the number one preventable cause of death in the United States? More lives are lost to tobacco than those caused by fires, alcohol, suicides, car accidents, AIDS, illegal drugs, and homicides, combined.
- 50,000 people die each year, not because they smoke, but because of breathing second-hand smoke?
Romans 15:2, “Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.” In smoking, are you building others up?
Some years ago, I was visiting someone in the hospital who was dying of cancer as a result of smoking. We talked for awhile and I tried to encourage him with some verses from the Bible. After reading the verses and praying, I turned to walk away when he said, “Pastor, because I smoked will I go to hell?” My response was, “No, my brother, smoking doesn’t send you to hell; but it has caused you to live through hell because of your cancer.” Is smoking worth it? NO!!
What to do:
✞ Ask yourself these three questions.
- Will smoking build me up spiritually?
- Will it glorify God?
- Will it edify others?
*Statistics taken from Barna Group, along with Government Smoker Prevention and The American Cancer Society.
Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email