Bible Reading: Proverbs 4
Key Verse: Verse 7 – “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.”
Key Words: Wisdom is the principal thing
The word principal is an agricultural term meaning first fruit. It carries the idea of being the most productive, the most fruitful. The principle is that without wisdom we’ll never be productive or fruitful.
There are at least five promises made in Proverbs 4 in regard to wisdom:
- Wisdom will preserve you (verse 6),
- Wisdom will protect (keep) you (verse 6),
- Wisdom will promote you (verse 8),
- Wisdom will keep you from being straitened (distressed) (verse 12),
- Wisdom will keep you from stumbling (verse 12).
We do live in a world that is void of wisdom. The following was taken from Dear Abby, and it proves my point that we are void of wisdom.
- Dear Abby: Our son was married in January. Five months later his wife had a ten-pound baby girl. They said the baby was premature. Tell me can a baby this big be that early? – Wondering. - Dear Wondering: The baby was on time, the wedding was late. Forget it.
- Dear Abby: Do you think about dying much? – Curious. Dear Curious: No, it’s the last thing I want to do.
- Dear Abby: I am forty-four years old and I would like to meet a man my age with no bad habits – Rose. Dear Rose: So would I.
- Dear Abby: What’s the difference between a wife and a mistress? – Bess. Dear Bess: Night and Day.
There is a TV commercial that asks, “Got milk?” My question for you is, “Got Wisdom?”
What to do:
✞ Be teachable (verse 1)
✞ Desire to have Godly wisdom.
✞ Ask God for wisdom daily.
Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email