Bible Reading: Acts 25:13-27
Key Verse: Verse 13 – “And after certain days king Agrippa and Bernice came unto Caesarea to salute Festus.”
Key Words: king Agrippa and Bernice
Historians say of Bernice that she was the eldest daughter of Agrippa I. Here is what history records about Bernice.
- She was the sister of Drusilla. Acts 24:24 records that Drusilla was a Jewess so Bernice had to have had some Jewish blood in her and no doubt knew of God, but yet still rejected Him.
- She was married to the king of Chalcis (an ancient city located in Greece). The king just happened to be her uncle.
- Historians recorded that she had an adulterous relationship with her brother, Agrippa II.
- We know that she heard the gospel message from Paul and rejected it (Acts 26:28-30).
- The historian Ellicott writes that “Bernice was a woman of uncontrolled passion.”
“You may have heard the story of two friends who met for dinner in a restaurant. Each requested filet of sole, and after a few minutes the waiter came back with their order. Two pieces of fish, a large and a small, were on the same platter. One of the men proceeded to serve his friend. Placing the small fish on his plate, he handed it across the table. ‘Well, you certainly have your nerve!’ exclaimed his friend.
“‘What’s troubling you?’ asked the other. ‘Look what you’ve done,’ he answered. ‘You’ve given me the little piece and kept the big one for yourself.’ ‘How would you have done it?’ the man asked. His friend replied, ‘If I were serving, I would have given you the big piece.’ ‘Well,’ replied the man, ‘I’ve got it, haven’t I?’
What to do:
✞ Remember, where the Spirit of God rules, there is temperance.
Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email