Key Verse: Verse 2 – "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come."
Key Words: as God hath prospered him
The average family is “head over heels” in debt with no way or hope of being delivered from their financial bondage. We blame high interest rates for our financial problems, but in reality, the real reason for financial bondage is a lack of self-discipline in controlling our desires.
The purpose of this devotion is not to lecture or condemn, but rather to give some direction toward being free from financial bondage.
- Confess to God your sin of being in financial bondage (I John 1:9).
- Develop a systematic program of giving to God first (I Corinthians 16:2, Malachi 3:8-10).
- Always stop and pray and take time to meditate in God’s Word before making major purchases.
- Never borrow for pleasure (or for items for pleasure).
- Get rid of your credit cards and pay cash only until you have both your finances and desires under God’s control.
- Develop a financial plan (a budget) and live within your means. Some creditors will work with you on lowering your monthly payments (be careful that they don’t hike the interest rate). Don’t allow your creditors to take the initiative.
- Avoid impulse buying. Plan, pray, and prioritize; but do not buy things on impulse.
What to do:
✞ Ask God for wisdom to help you become free from financial bondage.
Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email