Key Verse: Verse 16 – "Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing."
Key Words: let us walk by the same rule
Let me be one of the few to say, I L-O-V-E R-U-L-E-S. Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you, I said it and I’ll say it again. I love rules. Now, there is a stipulation to my love for rules. The rules must have some rhyme and reason to them. But rules are everywhere you go, you can’t get away from them. I went to a fast food restaurant the other day and posted on the door was a sign that read, “No shirt, no shoes, no service.” Inside the restaurant there was a sign that read, “No breaking in line, please,” and yet another sign which read, “No checks accepted.” By the way, all three rules make sense to me. “No shirt, no shoes, no service” is for health safety (Health Dept. regulations). “No breaking in line” is common courtesy. “No checks” is a safe business practice, considering that one out of every four checks is a bad check. There is another restaurant which advertises that they have no rules. Why, that’s not true. A new magazine show put their “no rules” advertisement to the test. The reporter went to a local fast food restaurant (McDonald’s), bought a meal and went down to the “no rules” restaurant and walked in with no shoes, his McDonald’s meal, and asked for a seat. When he was asked what he would like to order, he replied, “Nothing. I just came here to eat my McDonald’s meal.” He was promptly escorted out. When he inquired as to why, he was told he must have shoes and he must order a meal – restaurant regulations, he was told. So much for no rules.
Why, God Himself has given us rules.
- There is a rule for salvation. John 3:16. The rule is if you don’t believe, you won’t be saved.
- There is a rule for having a good day. I Peter 3:10.
- There are rules for having your prayers answered. Psalm 66:18, I Peter 3:7, James 1:5-7, James 4:3.
- They give unity. Philippians 3:16.
- They protect (by weeding out the insincere and the rebellious, the mavericks). Philippians 3:16-17.
- They give structure and organization. I Timothy, chapter 1, is filled with structure and organization.
What to do:
✞ Let the Lord rule your life. Not all rules are bad.
Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email