Key Verse: Verse 14 - “He heweth him down cedars, and taketh the cypress and the oak, which he strengtheneth for himself among the trees of the forest: he planteth an ash, and the rain doth nourish it.”
Key Words: he planteth an ash
Most scholars agree that the ash tree is in the family of pine trees. I find it interesting that the carpenter took the cypress and oak trees for building and replaced it with a pine tree, not as strong or as protective as either the cypress or the oak – in other words, a cheap replacement. Like I said, I find it interesting that the pine tree replaced the cypress and the oak until you find in verse seventeen that those who cut down the cypress and oak were using the wood to build false gods. As you read the text, it is easy to see that these are cheap, deceitful, wicked people.
Now you cannot make God, God made you. How can you worship something that you make? How powerful, protective, or productive can a god be that we have to make with our hands?
I read the following excerpts (using old product slogans) from what some children said that God is like.
- GOD is like Coke...He’s the real thing.
- GOD is like Pan Am...He makes the going great.
- GOD is like General Electric...He lights your path.
- GOD is like Bayer Aspirin...He works wonders.
- GOD is like Hallmark Cards...He cares enough to send the very best.
- GOD is like Tide...He gets the stains out that others leave behind.
- GOD is like VO5 Hair Spray...He holds through all kinds of weather.
- GOD is like Dial Soap...Aren’t you glad you know Him? Don’t you wish everyone did?
- GOD is like Sears...He has everything.
- GOD is like Alka Seltzer...Try Him, you will like Him.
- GOD is like Scotch Tape...You cannot see Him, but you know He’s there.
What to do:
✞Next time you see or hear of the pine tree, remember that there is no replacement for the true and living God.
Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email